This is my first official Meatless Monday – I slipped up and ate turkey last Monday which kept me from getting on board with the program at that time.
With the huge variety of fruits and vegetables available year around in the marketplace, I anticipate that this commitment will be a very easy one for me to keep. Today my refrigerator is well stocked with fresh fruits and veggies that I enjoy consuming from a raw state. I also have some tasty baked sweet potatoes that I will reheat sometime during the day, plus a container of low sodium organic butternut squash soup from Trader Joe’s that will be the basis of my evening meal.
I was a bit disappointed in the list of participating food bloggers that is on the Meatless Monday website. Some of the blogs are excellent, while others are not being maintained or have a more limited amount of pertinent content to offer. In the interest of adding possible value to that list, occasionally I plan to post some suggestions of blogs or websites that publish meatless recipes that I feel are helpful. Here are five you might like to visit:
- Website: Vegetarian Times - Vegetarian Times is arguably the best one out there with an archive of vegetarian recipes for a variety of tastes and lifestyles. Besides the large amount of such recipes, this site offers such resources as specialty diets, how-to’s, healing foods, veg101, and community helps. (Note: If you go to the Vegetarian Times site and find an annoying subscription pop-up blocking your ability to enter it, go around the pop-up with your mouse and click on the Vegetarian Times header.)
- Website: EatingWell - EatingWell features an extensive recipe collection, including one for vegetarian recipes. They feature a nice collection of Meatless Monday recipes in a slideshow; to access these, click here.
- Jordan’s Family of Foodies - This blogger is definitely on board with the Meatless Monday theme. Jordan is not a vegetarian but is making strides in incorporating more meatless recipes on her website. She has some interesting recipes in her Meatless Monday archive worthy of checking out.
- Ezra Pound Cake - This blog has a link to meatless recipes. I like the variety of recipes that have been posted on this site as well as the write ups on the recipes.
- Better With Veggies - This food blogger has taken an interesting approach to posting Meatless Monday recipes. She has a Meatless Mondays from A-Z category. Click on a letter of the alphabet and you will find links to additional recipes from other food blogs that work within that category.
I hope that you find these food blog links to be helpful. Happy Monday (meatless or not) to all of my readers!
Tags: cooking & food; goals; health; meatless monday; opinion and editorial; seniors